Toddlers have tantrums for various reasons and parents need to identify the reasons.
Why do toddlers have tantrums?
- Sometimes toddlers are sleepy so they throw temper tantrums, get stubborn, cranky and soon they do not want to sleep. That is why it is important to have a routine for sleep, bath, food etc, to avoid tantrums of any kind.
- Sometimes children are tired walking for long hours. Learn to recognize when your toddler is tired.
- At times the toddler is unwell, in pain, teething or hungry. Crying and showing anger is a way of showing it. Identify the cause of a tantrum. Do not scold your toddler or tell them to keep quiet, do not suppress them. Instead ask them or identify the cause for the tantrum. Once you identify it act on it and focus on calming your toddler.
- Many times a toddler is feeling ignored, or is seeking attention and a tantrum is a way to get attention. Therefore, do not ignore your toddler. Talk to your toddler.
- By the time a toddler is 2.5 years old they want to state their independence and control their environment. Let them do their chores such as wearing clothes, shoes etc.
Therefore, do not scold or ignore your toddler. Show compassion and understand your toddler.
However, tantrums are normal if not displayed too often. Keep cool with your toddlers and if tantrums persist and you feel there is a behavioral disorder, then seek medical attention.